Monday, November 16, 2009

Winter Season - Week 13

I don't think I've chosen this life; I feel I've been pushed into it. And what sustains me is a sense of my life as a mission. Jane Goodall

Fundraising Tip
Email your monthly update reminding others to donate. This is a great way to keep people up to date with your training and fundraising progress. It's also a great time to update your potential donors on your honored patients status.

Training Tip
Benefits of Massage. The alleviation of tight, sore muscles is just the beginning of what a massage therapist can do for the serious runner. A good sports massage can warm and soften tissues, improve circulation of both blood and lymph fluid—flushing out toxins that cause muscle stiffness and soreness—realign muscle fibers, free muscle adhesions, identify tender areas before they develop into injuries, stretch and relax as well as restore suppleness and normal elasticity to muscles, improve range of motion, speed recovery from a tough workout or race, improve body awareness, and relax the mind and body.

TNT In The News
The Tampa Tribune
www.tbo.com
Circulation – 152,568
Visitors Per Month – 906,728

‘I was Ready to do Whatever it Took’
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/nov/07/i-was-ready-to-do-whatever-it-took/life/
By Ani Vidal
NAME: Ani Vidal
AGE: 42
CITY: New Tampa
GOAL: To finish my first triathlon.

‘I Felt I Needed to do Something’
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/nov/12/121122/i-felt-i-needed-to-do-something/life-health/
By Cindy Keehn
NAME: Cindy Keehn
AGE: 50
CITY: Clearwater
GOAL: Complete the Women's Running Magazine Inaugural Half Marathon on Nov. 22 in St. Petersburg in honor of those who battle blood cancers, as I celebrate three years in complete remission.

Mission Moment
Mace' has just been diagnosed with secondary AML as a result of her previous cancer treatments. In October 2001, she was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma IV with little hope for survival of 6 months. She had two stem cell transplants in the summer of 2002, after the doctors were unable to remove the tumor in her abdomen. The only symptom she had then was complaints of back pain. Little did we know, she had a tumor in her spine that was removed immediately and aggressive chemotherapy followed. She had multiple infections and fever, and had to be hospitalized. She had many surgeries to repair what chemotherapy and radiation damaged.

She was doing well and was in remission since May 2005. The endocrinologist put her on hormone replacement therapy because the radiation and chemo had caused her to be in primary ovarian failure. She was looking forward to her junior year in high school and getting her license before this summer. The beginning of the summer went well and Mace' was excited about the upcoming school year. When she came home from Camp Kemo in June, she was complaining of an ear infection and female problems. Her pediatrician put her on antibiotics, but the ear infection did not clear up. The pediatrician advised me to call her oncologist about getting some blood work and scans done. While Mace' was on her second dose of antibiotics, the oncologists informed us that three medium sized tumors were found on her liver and Mace' needed a liver biopsy immediately. The needle biopsy was done the end of July, but not helpful, so a week later Mace' had to have a surgery to obtain another biopsy. The findings were benign and two of the tumors were able to be removed. 5 days after being released from the hospital, Mace' was admitted back to the hospital for a staph infection, in the form of big fluid blisters all over her abdomen and around the incision site. Mace' stayed in the hospital for 6 days before the doctors could find out what was going on. She had to celebrate her 16th birthday in the hospital.

The next day she was released to go home, but not before one of the oncologists informed me that her CBCs did not look good and something was going on. Mace' had to return to the oncologist the following Monday for some more blood work. The doctors were not sure if Mace's infection was causing her blood work to be abnormal, or if it was another cancer. Well, the hematologist told me that Mace' could have secondary AML, which is caused when a patient has had a previous cancer and the treatments can cause another cancer to emerge. Mace' had a bone marrow biopsy done on August 25 and the doctors diagnosed her with having AML and said that it was very serious and would difficult to treat because of how aggressive the cancer is, therefore, the treatment would be aggressive as well. Mace' is to be admitted into the cancer center this week to start her chemotherapy treatment and will be in the hospital for treatment and remission. A possible bone marrow transplant may be needed, and her brother, father, and I will be tested for match. My family and I are torn. My community is as well, because Mace' has gone through so much these past 5 years. She told me that this was going to be her year to be a high school student and be like the other teenagers her age. She said that she is lucky and has everything a teenager could want. She received a car for her birthday and was excited about taking driving training in October of this year. She has a wonderful spirit and constant belief in God's healing.

When she was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma, I was shocked and worried, but I left it in God's hands. This time, I am more worried and in disbelief that my daughter has to go through such an ordeal again, when she has overcome so many obstacles; even shocking the doctors. My family and I pray every day for Mace' and her doctors. I know God will be there with her, but I guess I am just hurting for my daughter because I know what is coming ahead, and no parent wants their child to endure such a disease or hurt for anything. Mace' has a brother and he is hurting as well. He and Mace' are very close and I know this is tearing him apart because he doesn't quite understand all of it. I pray for my son as well because the siblings are sometimes forgotten about, unfortunately. All I ask is that anyone who reads this or knows us; pray, pray, pray, and pray for my daughter Mace' and the family. God does answer prayers. He has brought Mace' so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment