Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Winter Season - Week 19

Every ceiling, when reached, becomes a floor, upon which one walks as a matter of course and prescriptive right. ~Aldous Huxley

Fundraising Tip
Start sending thank you letters to your donors right away. Nothing can replace a thoughful note from you, expressing your gratitude.

TNT In The News
Examiner
Visitors Per Month – 7,040,174

Exclusive Interview with Project Runway’s Carol Hannah Whitfield
http://www.examiner.com/x-21288-Center-City-Style-Examiner~y2009m12d18-Exclusive-Interview-with-Project-Runways-Carol-Hannah-Whitfield
By Michelle Conron
Browsing through the ready to wear and wedding collection designed by Project Runway’s Carol Hannah Whitfield, it is obvious that she is destined to be a designer that will deliver amazing looks season after season. We watched her evolve on Project Runway, (shop for one-of-a-kinds from the season in her Etsy shop) and her debut collections are getting rave reviews. Her use of figure flattering silhouettes that are as edgy as they are sophisticated is unlike most designers today; she has an eye for balance and pushing boundaries at the same time. As the new cast of Project Runway’s upcoming season is being unveiled, it’s great to see what our favorite designers of the past are up to. The uber-talented Whitfield is settled in her new studio space with fellow Project Runway alumni Logan and Epperson, and graciously allowed me to ask her some questions about her daily life and what goes on behind closed doors. In the exclusive interview below, Carol Hannah opens up and dishes out her fashion faux-pas of the past, her style weaknesses, and much more!

Q: Personal style... What lifestyle lessons do you favor that maintain that your inside is as good looking as your outside?A: Take care of your body and you will feel twelve thousand times more confident. The way you wear things is just as important as what you wear, if not more so! I love to run! It also is a great way to burn off stress. I also think it's important to make sure you contribute to something bigger than yourself, especially when working in this industry. I just started fundraising for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society for a marathon I'm running in April. It's always been a goal that my line and my company transcend fashion, and the LLS seemed like a good fit because Leukemia has directly affected my family. You can donate here. Also, fashion and style is about fun and expression, not being judgmental towards others. Don't take get too wrapped up in it - just have fun.

Mission Moment
Melissa
Living with Hodgkin Lymphoma for 2 years, 11 months
Age: 25

I found out I was pregnant in December 2004. We were so excited and couldn't wait to meet our baby in August 2005. Then, in February 2005, a huge lump appeared on my neck. I went to see my family doctor and he didn't seem too concerned about it and made an appointment for me to see a plastic surgeon. A couple of weeks later, I met with the plastic surgeon and he seemed more concerned. He said he wanted to know a little bit more about what he was removing so he sent me to an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor. I went to see the ENT on March 21, 2005. I was 19 weeks pregnant at the time. The doctor felt the lump on my neck and under my arms. He basically said, "It's either a virus or it's Hodgkin's and I don't think it's a virus." I had tests done a couple of days later that confirmed that it was Hodgkin's. I chose to visit MD Anderson in Houston where they attempted to stage me safely and not to interfere with the baby at all. I was staged at IIB. I came home and carried on a normal pregnancy. Because my breathing was getting harder, we decided to induce at 32 weeks. He wasn't ready and therefore the induction failed. We tried again at 34 but he still wouldn't come. Finally, on July 21, 2005, 4 months to the day I was diagnosed, Hunter came into the world. He was perfectly healthy and beautiful.
2 weeks after giving birth, I had a CT and PET scan that revealed the cancer to be stage IIIB. I had 6 months of ABVD. This ended in January and then I was retested. None of the tests were coming out clear but when they did, I only required 3 weeks of radiation. I have been cancer-free since July 11, 2006. It was the hardest thing that I have ever done, but it is a journey that I will never forget. My precious son and I will always have a special connection. He was what I needed to make it through this battle and I can't wait to be able to share that with him someday. We are fighters, we are survivors, we are strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment